[Ardour-Users] Archive media

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Wed Oct 5 10:07:46 PDT 2011

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 18:52:07 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> PS: As Arnold mentioned, the other issue is, that you might be unable to
> set up a machine, that is able to interpreted an outdated code, even if
> all your backups are ok, you need to be able to read them!

Along these lines, beware of using RAID controllers built into the
motherboard unless you are absolutely certain you know how to rebuild
the RAID on another system.  I had a setup like that, and when the
mobo died, I found that the disks were absolutely unreadable on another
system with a newer controller from the same manufacturer.

After that experience (and thank $deity for a separate USB drive
for backups) I've always used the Linux software RAID tools.  I've
pulled off some tricky restorations when things have failed in that
environment.  I really don't want to get locked into proprietary
hardware issues again!

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com