[Ardour-Users] Archive media

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Oct 5 09:45:48 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 17:51 +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 October 2011 16:56:09 Brett McCoy wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Ralf Mardorf
> >
> > <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>
> Good luck when the second disk fails during recovery of the first failed disk.
> And yes, that _will_ happen when all three are the same kind. I _know_ from
> experience (and from simple statistics).

> > > :D raid on a DAW?! Btw. are the safes also flooding proved?
> > I keep my fireproof safe on the second story of my house... if we get
> > a flood that high I will have more serious problems worry about than
> > my backups :-)
>
> What good is a fireproof save???
> True, the disk will not burn. But then again it only needs 90° for the disk to
> loose it magnetism.
>
> The only true backup is a disk or tape that is stored elsewhere.
> And the only good archive is a bunch of disks or tapes stored elsewhere
> together with a drive to read the media and a computer to interpret the media.
>
> Have fun,
>
> Arnold

There's nothing to add, it is, resp. seems to be, brutal truth ... 90°C
might be the correct value or not, anyway, the most unsafe way to backup
data is an optical media. There's no better guarantee to loose data. If
magnetic saved date should fail, well, this would be much more bad luck.

Hm, you might watch my DAT drives "eating" the DAT tapes?!

DVD-RAM and HDD IMO are the most safe opinions :(.