[Ardour-Users] Archive media

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Oct 5 07:17:42 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 10:08 -0400, Brett McCoy wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Brett Clark <brett.clark at zirous.com> wrote:
>
> > Im watching the thread on cleaning up unused regions and its been mentioned
> > a couple times that DVD isnt a good archive media, and im thinking "crap,
> > thats what i use".  Over the years ive accumulated quite a few sessions that
> > i will probably never use again, but i want to keep just in case.
> > If DVD isnt a good option, then what are people using for permanent
> > archiving of sessions?  Even hard disks have bit rot and i hate to keep a
> > drive spinning to hold material i may never use again, or may want 10 years
> > from now.
>
> Right now I am backing up to a portable hard drive and storing in
> fireproof safe... but yes, concerned about eventual failure of the
> hard drive, unless one were to rotate the backups to multiple
> drives...

1. Before a HDD fails it usually announce this by "click, click" noise,
the time you should do a backup to another HDD.
2. Even if it fails, usually you can demount it, keeping the cable
connections and hit it, so the heads usually will get free for a backup.

I only lost data by optical media. Even HD disks magnetised with DD disk
drives doesn't loos data.

YMMV ;).

- Ralf