[Ardour-Users] Linux distributions

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Sat Oct 1 17:15:28 PDT 2011

On Sat, 1 Oct 2011, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> I call Arch Linux a "special" kind of distro ;). Very often I could tune
> my Ubuntu or Debian, regarding to information that came from hits about
> ArchLinux by Google. I never installed Arch myself, but I only heard
> good news from Arch :).

I haven't messed around with Arch for audio stuff (using Ubuntu Studio
for that right now), but I use it on my main desktop at work, and several
servers in a lab I run, but I've been very happy with it.

I also run Gentoo on a few machines, but I'm finding that the older I get,
the more I want things to 'just work' ;).  I do sincerely like Gentoo as
a distro - I've been a Gentoo user since 2004 and run it on several
machines.  However, the farther you get from the mainline code base and
into ~arch territory, the more likely you are to run into dependency
conflicts, library version mismatches and other time-sinks.  There was
for a long time, and might still be an issue with getting nvidia video
drivers to build on machines that are running RT kernels.

jms