[Ardour-Users] Linux distributions

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Oct 1 11:48:40 PDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 20:34 +0200, fred wrote:

> Le 01/10/2011 18:27, Ralf Mardorf a écrit :
> > On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 11:58 -0400, Edward Diehl wrote:
> >
> >> A nice audio-oriented Ubuntu linux distro is DreamLinux.  You can install
> >> kxstudio on top of this, though there seems to be some conflict between
> >> some of the kxstudio stuff and the DreamLinux packages which have similar
> >> content.  At any rate DreamLinux gives you a very up-to-date Linux audio
> >> distro with, for example, recent SVN versions of ffado and linuxsampler,
> >> giving you very good support for those packages.   However, I have to say,
> >> I prefer AVLinux which has also the latest packages, because I prefer the
> >> more stripped-down approach (LXDE vs Unity interface), removal of pulse
> >> audio in AVLinux.  However, the only kxstudio app available on AVLinux is
> >> carla which is a plugin host since the others depend on ladish and hence
> >> Jack2, and AVLinux uses Jack1 (I think that is the issue, I might be
> >> wrong).  At any rate, both AVLinux and DreamStudio have bootable DVD
> >> versions allowing you to test them before installation.
> >>
> > The more exotic an audio distro is, the less help you can expect from
> > small communities. I prefer major distros. They are averaged desktop
> > orientated, which is an disadvantage, but they all have got third party
> > repositories and a huge community and this is much more important. If
> > you will avoid PA, than don't use Suse, but Debian. Debian by default
> > don't use PA. Others might give you information about Fedora and others.
> >

> +1 on Debian,
> maybe we're at 0.04 ?
> > 0.02 EUR,

Yes, it's a simple kind of multiplication ... anyway, while I'm
comfortable with audio for Debian, some seconds ago, I lost control and
called the Evolution coders names, perhaps the Debian package builders
did something stupid, at least I misbehaved :D, aaargh. For audio Debian
is ok, but anyway, because I pinned X, I might have good luck, some
people have broken Debian installs, regarding to NVIDIA X issues. Ubuntu
has got some disadvantages, but also some advantages, I'm just scary
about to small Ubuntu based distros. I only heard good things about
AVLinux, Debian based. Anyway, I prefer it, if manpower would be
concentrate to the major distros. We don't need tons of exotic distros,
we are missing manpower, because the experts are to wide spread, instead
of focusing the major distros.

Another Cent,

Ralf