[Ardour-Users] Fedora 15 prime for Audio production?

Sat May 28 10:19:26 PDT 2011

On 05/26/2011 08:47 PM, George Vergis wrote:
> Fedora 15 has officially been released as of May 24th. This version includes a
> Kernel with BKL (Big Kernel Lock) removed. From what I have read you no longer
> need the real-time kernel patches. Wow! what a relief.

Where have you read this? Could you please post a url?

While the stock kernel is much better these days than it used to be, and
is usable for audio work, it is certainly not as good as an rt patched
kernel. 2.6.39+ will be much closer as it has threaded interrupts. FC15
ships with 2.6.38.

Whether you need an rt patched kernel or not depends on the kind of
audio work you do and the latencies you need to work with (and the
reliability you expect from the system).

> However, there are some
> other user permission settings required to make the audio performance (latency)
> equal or better than the real-time kernel

Latencies are not going to be "better than the real-time kernel", at
least not for 2.6.38 (AFAIK).

The only thing you should need to do is to install
jack-audio-connection-kit and then add your user to the proper group
(that would be "jackuser"). That should be enough to run jack with "-R"
and get the benefits of realtime scheduling.

-- Fernando