[Ardour-Users] Made with Ardour

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri May 27 00:24:39 PDT 2011

Until now I didn't listen to the recordings, but I agree with some VDT
guys in general, regarding to do a mixing.

On Fri, 2011-05-27 at 08:56 +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> but gates shouldn't really be necessary on a studio production if the
> room and set is good, unless you're in for that slightly artificial
> sound. for sure they shouldn't just be used "by default".

+ 1

> you could also try the calf compressors, they have very spiffy
> interfaces, but those might be a bit harder on your cpu.

+ 1 and don't forget that you should use the compressor pre-fader.

> > What we really need is a studio with a separate control room. We just
> > have a single room for band and pc.
>
> well, that's luxury :) you can sort of get away with a single room if
> you're prepared to do lots of test recordings

When I recorded Achim (http://www.achimjaroschek.com/) at home this
didn't help. In this case the grand piano was so loud, that I had to
listen as loud as possible by headphones and anyway, I hardly could hear
the sound from the headphones.

When I was engineer for Brauner I several times med the SPL guy, while
we evaluated the SPL/Brauner Atmos 5.1 Surround Microphone System.
He said something very smart, similar to: "There's no need for
compressors, everything a compressor does, can be done by EQs."

Of cause, not true if you catch it word by word, but a smart statement,
if you don't mix your music the RedHotChiliPeppers-Metallica style, but
more similar to a Bob Katz style.