[Ardour-Users] Made with Ardour

Ricardus Vincente wizardofgosz at gmail.com
Thu May 26 08:32:46 PDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-26 at 11:27 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> > Maybe the answer is in the original email: cheap drum mics...
> > If the sound you recorded is no good, it will be difficult to "fix" it in
> > later stage.
>
> you can't fix a snare with any mic at any price.
> you can fix a snare by throwing it out the window. cheap too.
>
> let the great war on snares begin! blood, mayhem and TSCHAK! for all!!

Sounds to me like they miked the bottom, and used WAY too much of it. (I
didn't listen too closely... just with laptop speakers)

I have no use for bottom mics on snares. I just mute that channel and
then go to work. There is one engineer I know who shall remain nameless,
who would mic both heads, and sum them to one channel. I had to mix a
bunch of his projects over the years, and often, he mixed in WAY to much
bottom. VERY FRUSTRATING. I am prepared to beat that man to a pulp the
next time I see him.     :-)

Rich...