[Ardour-Users] Made with Ardour

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Thu May 26 08:31:11 PDT 2011

On Thu, 26 May 2011 10:50:24 -0400
Luc Tanguay <lucus at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Maybe the answer is in the original email: cheap drum mics...
> If the sound you recorded is no good, it will be difficult to "fix" it
> in later stage.
>
> http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb03/articles/drummiking.asp

This is a great article.  I've actually got this in a bookmark folder
of things that I re-read before I start a session, since I don't get
a chance to do a lot of drum recording (though that's changing since
I have new studio space).  I was lucky enough to have 7 channels for
drums on my last project and having some good mics and applying a
little smarts in placement gave me tracks that were much better than
I'd expected.

The thing I did not like at all was the sound of the cymbals.  They
have a weird flanging thing happening that was distracting in headphones.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com