[Ardour-Users] Made with Ardour

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu May 26 07:56:12 PDT 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 7:24 AM, Joe Hartley <jh at brainiac.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 May 2011 06:39:57 -0700
> Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Production wise it was fun but I hated the snare from start
>> to finish.
>
> Interesting, I am in the middle of producing an album with a friend's
> band, and am learning more about mixing as I go.  I'd be interested to
> know what you don't like about the snare.  I think I know, and have an
> opinion about the drum sound in general, but would like to find out
> what you think isn't working with the snare here.

To me it's flat and cheap sounding. It didn't sound as real as the
rest of the set and what I took to be the vibrancy of the toms &
cymbals. (Granted, less expensive mics and possibly a new recordist so
I'm assuming he's even asking for comments about this stuff) To a
small extent I thought early on one of the toms seemed sort of
strangely loud at times, but overall it didn't bother me like the
snare did. Just me but a snare needs to crack a bit, make you wake up
to the beat.

Of course, I don't listen to this genre with any regularity so my
thoughts could simply represent how old and out of touch I am by
listening to Yes and Supertramp, but I had a nice run through Let It
Bleed the other day after hearing Gimmie Shelter in a game ad on Hulu
and really liked it.

Still, it seems that most of the time I'm hardly past 1978 so I'm just
plain out of touch. (And possibly out of time...) ;-)