[Ardour-Users] iMac + Firewire card?

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Mon May 23 08:05:50 PDT 2011

On 05/23/2011 03:19 PM, Matt Savigear wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're thinking of adding a Mac to our studio (the Linux PC is getting
> flaky and there are some Mac software options we want access to) and the
> current budget indicates an iMac (the pro range are too expensive and I
> don't think they'll help much).
>
> It looks like this means we'll need an external sound card. We have a
> couple of old Tascam units (a 122 and a 428) but we've always found the
> USB 1.1 gives us some latency or drop-out issues. This leads me to
> suspect I need firewire (or maybe Thunderbolt but I suspect these will
> be overkill buy several grand!).
>
> I don't think I need more than two input tracks, four at the most. I
> want XLR or 1/4" options for each though. I have found a few reviews
> here and there, but nothing as specific as you guys might be able to
> offer. Budget in the region of $3-400.

since you seem to be using both osx and linux, maybe it makes sense to
look for an interface that is supported on both, in case your workflow
changes again?

check out the focusrite saffire range, they look good and seem to do
what you need.

best,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net