[Ardour-Users] Which distro best supports Ardour using the Delta 44 (ICE1712)?

Noel Darlow mail at mcgruff.plus.com
Sun Mar 20 18:55:13 PDT 2011

Hi

> So, I'm looking for advice. Is there a modern distro that can work
> with this Mobo/interface? Anyone else using this? The Ubuntu Launchpad
> is full of angry users who have been complaining about ICE1712
> related bugs for years, so perhaps I should abandon it

Personally I like Gentoo (and the pro-audio overlay). It's a highly
customisable distro which is great if you want to try out the newest
version of an audio app, or if you want to keep an old one when the
newest has problems. You control what gets updated and when.

Everything is compiled from scratch in Gentoo but that's no big deal
with a modern, multi-core processor.

I think Paul, the author of Jack and main contributor to Ardour, uses
CCRMA so that's another one deserving serious consideration.

You really shouldn't have problems with an envy24 card in linux. My own
M-Audio 2496 has always worked perfectly in Gentoo. I've no idea what
they've messed up in Ubuntu. Pulseaudio related, maybe?

If you do choose Gentoo let me know because there are some things you
need to know which aren't in the manual.

Noel