[Ardour-Users] graphical EQs [was: what linux audio, project, do you miss?]

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 06:17:20 PST 2011

On 3/5/11, Al Thompson <biggles58 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> While I'm in no way one of the purists, I firmly believe
> that 99% of your tones should come from mic selection and placement.

Lamar and Paul's comments out of the way, just for the record I do
agree with this completely(Except possibly the 99% aspect) for most
forms of music and sound.  However I will also say there are some
forms of music and sound that this becomes very much untrue, where the
source sound is only very minorly related to the actual ending sound.

Someone Kim and I both know is Stephen Vitiello who I took classes
form when I was still in school.  He is a sound artist and I am
constantly amazed at his works, which when you listen to many of his
works you likely will not hear much of the original sounds he used, as
they are so heavily processed to morph the sound into something new.
In this case while capturing the intended sound is still important,
the process used to morph it plays a MUCH larger role, and any sound
design tool becomes important.  I know of some cases where he
convolved the sound against another sound(Not an impulse response, but
say convolving a bird tweet against a lion roar), not something that
we would typically(Well I don't know of anyone that uses it like he
does actually) use in music production, but something that can create
interesting sounds on its own so it becomes an incredibly important
tool in his collection.

     Seablade