[Ardour-Users] what linux audio project do you miss?

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 18:18:45 PST 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Gordon JC Pearce <gordonjcp at gjcp.net> wrote:

> The capital F is significant.

No it isn't, it is just bad capitalization.  It is not a proper noun,
adjectives in the English language are not capitalized, with the exception
of those adjectives derived from proper nouns.

> By definition usually adopted in computing/linux (since we are on ardour
> mailing list :-), it is neither free nor open source. If we were talking in
> another language, maybe it would be clearer when we refer to freedom or
> gratuity. "Livre" and "gratis" in portuguese, for instance. :-)

Referring to something as Libre is a fairly accepted standard in English
even when referring to open source.

Better yet however is just freaking clarifying whether you mean free as in
no cost, or free as in open source.  Then we don't have to worry about
things like this.

       Seablade