[Ardour-Users] what linux audio project do you miss?

Gordon JC Pearce gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Thu Mar 3 11:11:38 PST 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 13:46 -0500, Brett McCoy wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Chooch Schubert <choochus at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 4) I second (third?) the call for a good sequencer. My holy grail would be
> > something akin to Properllerhead Reason. Not even the full package with all
> > of the effects and instruments... just the sequencing, piano rolls, and
> > groove quantization would be a huge boon to music creation on Linux!
>
> What is it about current Linux MIDI sequencers that don't meet these
> requirements?

There aren't any that support swing or shuffle, like on many hardware
sequencers.  Seq24 is a fairly nice pattern-based sequencer, but is a
bit slow because the widgets are somewhat inefficient.  Rosegarden has
lots of goodies, but crashes all the time - and has no swing function.
It's also a bit bogged down with pointless stuff like a DSSI host.  Muse
I couldn't even get to build.

All of them have hopelessly ragged timing, but that seems to be a
feature of *all* PC-based sequencers on *all* platforms.

Rosegarden and Muse appear to be more orientated towards arranging big
long compositions of tracks, and don't do individual patterns.

Again, why isn't it possible to do on a modern PC what you could do on a
4MHz 80C32 microprocessor?

Gordon MM0YEQ