[Ardour-Users] Directing MIDI input from a keyboard

Al Thompson althompson58 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 08:44:48 PDT 2011

On 06/27/2011 10:30 AM, Paul Davis wrote:

> There's some interesting material in the exchanges so far. I'm not
> sure that "route MIDI input to whichever channel/port is associated
> with the selected track" scales well or is particularly
> workflow-friendly. It doesn't scale as soon as you have more than 1
> MIDI input device (especially if they are different kinds of things,
> like a keyboard and a drumpad thing like a drumkat/handsonic etc). It
> messes up workflow by making visual selection in the editor have a far
> more important role in signal routing.

I tend to agree with this.  I used to use Sonar several years ago, so
kind of got used to that workflow model.  It actually works fairly well
if you have a really simple MIDI setup (one MIDI controller, only a few
MIDI synths that can agree on MIDI requirements).  As you said, as soon
as the system becomes any more complex, that model becomes hopelessly
cumbersome and unusable.  It is also fraught with danger, since any
controller info passed through has the potential to cause all sorts of
confusing problems unless you ALWAYS send all controller information
every time you start playback.

The confusion I had on this subject was that I thought it was a MIDI
input issue, when it is actually a question of 'what should MIDI THROUGH
do during transport stop?'

Perhaps an extra button, or area on the track pane where you can enable
MIDI through from specified MIDI input ports on a per channel basis?

--
---
Check out the website I've been cobbling together.  It will never be

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]