[Ardour-Users] ardour 3.0 alpha season drawing to an end

Al Thompson althompson58 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 21:34:20 PDT 2011

On 07/16/2011 05:14 PM, Robin Gareus wrote:

>> This must be what is happening with mine.  Ardour  becomes totally
>> unresponsive and consumes 100% of the processor for a few minutes (3 or
>> more), and then settles back down.  This is with a session which has
>> only two MIDI tracks I was playing with to try out the editor, and the
>> whole session is only a couple of minutes long.  Up until it locks
>> itself up, there is no sign of high resource usage.
> Do you get "JackActivationCount" messages in ardour's Error-Log?
>
> It's not a matter of track-count or session-length. It is a matter of
> DSP (and CPU) load.
>
> I can reproduce it by adding a couple of foo-yc20 organs (LV2synth)
> which are rather CPU heavy. Just two or three MIDI tracks with a
> foo-yc20 plugins each are usually enough to trigger the issue here.
>
> Only [being patient and] disconnecting ardour from JACK resolves the
> issue cleanly.

Well, it didn't completely help here.  I tried using the -S option to
start jack. Upon loading my existing test session, which is about a
minute long, has two MIDI tracks, and no plugins, Ardour instantly uses
around 100% of CPU, locks itself up for several minutes, and says
"Please wait while Ardour loads visual data."  After it again starts
responding and CPU usage goes down to normal, it does appear to work
somewhat better with the -S option.  Rewinding to the session beginning
no longer locks it up.  I appear to be running into several issues at once.

--
---
Check out the website I've been cobbling together.  It will never be

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]