[Ardour-Users] ardour 3.0 alpha season drawing to an end

Wayne wayne at in-giro.org
Tue Jul 12 06:54:57 PDT 2011

Il giorno mar, 12/07/2011 alle 08.28 +0200, Nando ha scritto:

> [...]
>         >>   1) crashing bugs (this includes lockups/hangs)
>         >>   2) workflow issues that make certain desirable goals
>         impossible or
>         >> absurdly hard to accomplish (particulary with respect to
>         MIDI)
>         >>
>         >> Please use the bug tracker at http://tracker.ardour.org/ to
>         report all
>         >> such issues.
>         >>
>         >> thanks,
>         >> --p
>         > Any kind of timeline on this? I'd like to do some testing
>         but won't
>         > get a chance until this weekend or possibly the one after.
>

>         I'm testing Alpha9 tonight, and hope we have some time to
>         wring this
>         out.  I'm having some serious issues.  I just now had this pop
>         up when I
>         had let ardour set idle for a while:
>
>         [INFO]: looking for control protocols in
>         /opt/Ardour-3.0alpha9_9807-dbg/lib/surfaces
>         [INFO]: Control surface protocol discovered: "Mackie"
>         [INFO]: Control surface protocol discovered: "Generic MIDI"
>         [INFO]: Control surface protocol discovered: "Open Sound
>         Control (OSC)"
>         [INFO]: Loading menus
>         from /opt/Ardour-3.0alpha9_9807-dbg/etc/ardour.menus
>         [INFO]: Loading bindings from
>         /opt/Ardour-3.0alpha9_9807-dbg/etc/mnemonic-us.bindings
>         /home/al/Ardour3_Projects/Allegory_Illusions/Allegory
>         Illusions/Allegory
>         Illusions.history
>         [ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4
>         [ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4
>         [ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4
>         [ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4
>         [ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4
>         [ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4
>         [ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4
>         [ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4
>         [ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4
>         [ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4
>         [ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4
>         [ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4
>         [ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4
>         [ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4
>         [ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4
>         [ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4
>         [ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4
>         [ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4
>         [ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4
>         [ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4
>         [ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4
>         [ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4
>         [ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4

    i have been having these same issues, only with Ardour 3 (i.e.
Rosegarden, Ardour 2, Qsynth, etc. do not produce these errors from
JACK) running JACK2 SVN (i have not tried JACK1).

    first, the Ardour 3 log window popping up on startup with the
following errors (the values, repetitions, etc, sometimes vary):

[INFO]: looking for control protocols
in /home/in0giro/.config/ardour3/surfaces:/usr/lib/ardour3/surfaces
[INFO]: Control surface protocol discovered: "Open Sound Control (OSC)"
[INFO]: Control surface protocol discovered: "Mackie"
[INFO]: Powermate device not found; perhaps you have no powermate
connected
[INFO]: Control protocol powermate not usable
[INFO]: Control surface protocol discovered: "Generic MIDI"
[INFO]: Loading menus from /usr/etc/ardour3/ardour.menus
[INFO]: Loading bindings
from /home/in0giro/.config/ardour3/ardour.bindings
[2011.07.01]/for demonstration purposes [2011.07.01].history
[ERROR]: JACK: Cannot read socket fd = 11 err = Success
[ERROR]: JACK: Cannot read socket fd = 11 err = Success
[ERROR]: JACK: Cannot read socket fd = 11 err = Success
[ERROR]: JACK: Cannot read socket fd = 11 err = Success
[ERROR]: JACK: Cannot read socket fd = 11 err = Success
[ERROR]: JACK: Cannot read socket fd = 11 err = Success
[ERROR]: JACK: Cannot read socket fd = 11 err = Success
[ERROR]: JACK: Cannot read socket fd = 11 err = Success
[ERROR]: JACK: Cannot read socket fd = 11 err = Success
[ERROR]: JACK: Cannot read socket fd = 11 err = Success
[ERROR]: JACK: Connect: can't connect named semaphore name =
jack_sem.5000_default_ err = Invalid argument
[ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 28
[ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 28
[ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 28

the "[ERROR]: JACK: Cannot read socket fd = 11 err = Success" line is
almost a constant occurrence on session load, while "[ERROR]: JACK:
Connect: can't connect named semaphore name = jack_sem.5000_default_ err
= Invalid argument" is more rare.  the "[ERROR]: JACK:
JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 28" error does not always
happen on session load, but it eventually occurs (see below).

    then, seemingly depending on the complexity (i.e. number of
tracks/buses/regions) of the session, i get more/less pop ups of the
Ardour 3 log window, with the following message:

[ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 28
[ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 28
[ERROR]: JACK: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 28

this happens so much on certain complex sessions that the program
becomes unusable, as i have to constantly clear away the log window.  i
have noted that these errors usually occur when

     1. i am recording and the play head hits the punch in marker
     2. i toggle the solo/mute state of a track

however, they also randomly pop up when Ardour 3 is idle (i.e. not
playing/recording).  finally, the appearance of this error always
coincides/causes XRUNs.

    i spoke with las a briefly on IRC about this and his first guess was
that it is a JACK problem.  i assumed it was a local JACK problem on my
machine, but seeing that 1) others are experiencing it 2) it only
happens with Ardour 3, maybe we need to take a second look.  could be
that Ardour 3 is using a piece of JACK that these other apps are not?

    also, it happens whether i am starting JACK from QJackCtl, LADISH or
jackdbus.

    in the mean time, is there a way to disable the log window in Ardour
3?

    if anyone has any other experiences with this problem (e.g. with
JACK1 instead), please reply all.

peace, w

http://wayne.in-giro.org