[Ardour-Users] scons install builds a totally different set of object files?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Jan 8 06:51:23 PST 2011

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 5:37 AM, Ken Restivo <ken at restivo.org> wrote:
> This is interesting. I typed scons to build Ardour 2.0-ongoing (from svn). It took about an hour on my EEE, then finished. Then I typed "scons install", and it has taken so far TWO HOURS to build even more stuff, and shows no signs of finishing anytime soon.
>
> Why? I thought the install target was just supposed to install stuff, not rebuild it. I also thought the scons target would build the binaries, then scons install would just copy them to the proper location. I'm not clear why it built hours and hours of stuff on the install target.

scons install also builds the message catalogs for
internationalization if NLS=1 is set (it is, by default). there is
also a target, "potupdate" (IIRC) that will do this explicitly, but
you can't install unless the catalogs are ready. there's no reason to
build them as part of a regular build if you're not installing.

nothing else additional should be being built by the "install" target,
and if it takes 2hrs on your machine, i have to wonder what is going
on ...