[Ardour-Users] Denormals

Sat Dec 31 12:14:15 PST 2011

On 12/31/2011 08:04 AM, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Al Thompson<althompson58 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 12/31/2011 09:50 AM, Paul Davis wrote:
>>>
>>> are you using active frequency scaling (ie. power management)? this is
>>> not compatible with low latency realtime audio, JACK or otherwise.
>>> whatever tools your distro provides to manage this, you should disable
>>> it or set it to "performance" or something similarly worded.
>>
>> This has been an issue with me, too.  I recently got a new dual core
>> laptop, and am running Fedora 14, and nothing I've come across yet has
>> disabled CPU throttling.  It still insists that speed scaling is
>> controlled by the "ondemand" governor, and I can't even change CPU
>> speeds with the cpu-speed tools.
>
> i've never found any tools on F13 either, so i disabled it all in the
> BIOS. its one of the very few complaints i have about fedora, but i
> never notice it because of the aforementioned disabling.

Currently running fc14 in my laptop, I use gnome and have an applet
installed that allows me to change the cpu speed governor or set the
speed directly to the allowed values (after typing the root password,
idiotic, I know...). Right click on the top panel, click "Add to panel",
select "CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor" and add it. You need to have
"gnome-applets" installed. And of course you have to have things enabled
in the BIOS.

Now, gnome3 on fc15/16 is another story...

You can also turn on and off the "cpuspeed" service (as root do
"/sbin/service cpuspeed stop" or "start"), when the service is stopped
the cpu goes to top speed.

So there are options.
-- Fernando