[Ardour-Users] Denormals

Q lists at quirq.ukfsn.org
Sat Dec 31 04:30:20 PST 2011

On 31/12/11 12:17, John Rigg wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 11:32:17AM +0000, Q wrote:
>> The only other things I have running at the moment are Firefox and
>> Thunderbird.
>
> Only?
>
> Firefox regularly maxes out the Athlon 64x2 CPU in my net computer.
> Flashplayer does it a lot (so I don't have it installed most of
> the time), but broken javascript can also do it.
>
> I don't have a graphical web browser installed on my DAWs. Something that
> can cause audio dropouts is updatedb running in the background. It might be
> worth checking your cron (or anacron) configuration.
>
> John

Well, it makes no difference whether or not FF and T-bird are running --
every few minutes the CPU load rises by 20 to 25 percentage points even
when the transport isn't running. It almost looked like it might happen
every 3 minutes, but then the cycle seemed to break.

I've never had problems with FF locking up my machine. I've heard it can
be a memory hog but that'd be ridiculous locking up a quad-core with 4
GB of RAM. It's currently using 0% CPU and a bit of memory, but nothing
that should impact on Ardour.

In the past I've run similar sessions and had Linux Sampler running with
a couple of large Gig files, several VSTis (some sample based) and FF
and T-bird as well. I won't run that amount of stuff when I'm actually
tracking, but just when I'm noodling around writing.

Thanks, I'll look at my cron and anacron configuration if I can find out
where that is.