[Ardour-Users] the route parameters window

Wayne wayne at in-giro.org
Wed Dec 7 08:03:40 PST 2011

Il giorno mer, 07/12/2011 alle 00.06 +0100, Jörn Nettingsmeier ha
scritto:

> On 12/06/2011 11:08 PM, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> > On 12/06/2011 05:52 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> >> i'd like to hear from people who use ardour's "route parameters"
> >> window. it has been a feature in ardour2 since the early days of Jesse
> >> Chappel's contributions to the program. if you use it and like it,
> >> please tell me why. i'd let to get rid of it if possible.
> >
> > i'm not using it much, but it's an alternative view on the routing which
> > sometimes helps to make sure all is patched correctly.
> > it's also helpful if you have to change things in several channels or
> > tracks.
> >
> > why are you considering its removal? is it a maintenance burden, or does
> > it complicate the design?
> > if it is neither, i'd like to keep it around.
> > moreover, it could be a good place to eventually add useful new
> > multichannel features such as "add/remove port to/from every selected
> > channel" or similar things...
> >

> i just realized there is now both the a2-style "tracks and busses" and a
> global port matrix under "audio connections manager", which is indeed
> somewhat redundant.
>
> the latter could completely replace the former, if it had keyboard
> shortcuts to jump to next|previous input|output (the track etc., not the
> individual ports).
>
> typical usecase is you want to disconnect all inputs once a session
> moves into post production, to avoid accidental feedback on loading when
> there are open microphones and ardour is monitoring (happens to me
> regularly...).
> with the old tracks and busses, it is a no-brainer: one finger on
> "cursor down" traverses all inputs, the mouse unticks connections.

    i agree that having the keyboard shortcuts to navigate the
audio/MIDI connections are very useful, as well as listing
plugins/latency on the track as can be done with the inspector.

    however, if a) the audio/MIDI matrix could be navigated/controlled
with the keyboard b) the plugins 7 latency for a route could be
listed/brought up from the matrix window, then the separate inspector
would no longer be necessary in my opinion.

    let me know if we should submit feature requests.

peace, w

--
http://wayne.in-giro.org