[Ardour-Users] Ardour 3.0 beta 1a - Plugin levels 6dB higher than 2.x

Roger James roger at beardandsandals.co.uk
Thu Dec 8 06:33:27 PST 2011

This may be a feature rather than a bug, but it is puzzling me. I have a
session set up in Ardour 2.8.11 on Ubuntu 11.10 to do Ambisonic UHJ
decoding. This uses instances of Tom Szilagyi's IR convolver plugin to
do the conversion of UHJ to B format. I have duplicated this session
using Ardour 3.0 Beta 1a. Using exactly the same level settings in the
Ardour mixer and in the plugins wet and dry settings, the overall level
coming out of the plugin and showing up in the mixer meters is about 6
dB higher than that which I get in 2.8.

Has anyone else observed anything like this? Have I missed something
obvious in the new UI? Has anyone got any ideas what is going on? It
just does not feel right to me to have drop the wet level in the plugin
by -9 db to leave some headroom for the rest of the conversion process.

By the way the multichannel export support in 3.0 is awesome for playing
with Ambisonics etc! Keep up the good work guys.

Roger