[Ardour-Users] Smallest PC for liverecording ?

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Wed Apr 13 15:12:47 PDT 2011

On 04/13/2011 08:41 PM, Svend-Erik K Madsen wrote:
> Hey
>
> I'm looking for at spare recorder for mobile recording. I got an old RME
> MultifaceI and a PCMCIA card, but what do I need in cpu and RAM to be
> able to record 6-10 tracks at a time.

my old 1.5g pentium m laptop was able to record 26 channels to the
internal harddisk using a firewire interface (which hogs quite a lot of
cpu).
the rme is orders of magnitude more efficient, so i'd say cpu-wise,
anything that has a cardbus slot should be fine. disk throughput might
be an issue on very old machines, but even that is unlikely to be a real
problem.

if you're thinking of using ardour for live recording: make sure you
crank up the disk buffers in .ardour/ardour.rc - i'm using 60(!) seconds
for live recordings. this setting slows down edit operations a bit, but
will reduce strain on the disk and make disk access vastly more efficient.

and as david said, go easy on the latency, and all will be well.
if your internal hd shows its age, i have had good results with an
external usb disk. it might pay to look for an usb port which does not
share an interrupt with other busy devices (such as the pc card slot).

best,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net