[Ardour-Users] click free editing and zero crossings?

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Thu May 20 10:54:27 PDT 2010

On 20 May 2010, at 17:23, Thomas Vecchione wrote:

> Besides, most of the time, edits shouldn't need to match harmonics to the level you describe as that would essentially be mid note, and if you are editing like that, chances are it will be audible no matter what you do.  Always edit on the beat for a reason

Well my particular expertise is in dialogue editing where I guess that the equivalent of a beat would be to edit at the start of words.  But I can assure you that editing mid-word is every bit as common as editing on a transient (start of word).

It's certainly easier to edit on a transient - not least because it's much less likely to disturb the rhythm of the material (whether music or speech).  But editing on a transient is by no means essential for producing an inaudible edit.  Nor is any masking necessary if you can apply a suitable crossfade cleanly.

Actually, you're talking to the guy who first came up with the idea of crossfading digital edits (at least for DAWs - I found out later that it was already commonplace for CD mastering).  However, until I joined AMS Neve (too many years ago!) none of the then DAWs offered a crossfade edit feature and it was my idea to experiment with it for our AudioFile DAW.  More than any other feature, it was probably AudioFile's slick and seamless editing that made it successful.

Just need to go and deflate my head...!  :)

John