[Ardour-Users] Question about session formats

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed May 5 11:23:52 PDT 2010

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Luis Pablo Gasparotto <
lpgasparotto at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm very new to Ardour. I was recording in a studio which uses ProTool and
> I'd like to be able to open the PT sessions with Ardour. What's the best
> way? Is there someway to export session from PT to an Ardour friendly
> format? What are the session formats Ardour can import? Logic? Nuendo?

None of the session file formats used natively by any proprietary DAW is
"open". Several DAWs can export to OMF and AAF and there are various ways to
import these into Ardour. If you really want to handle session files from
various sources rather than stems, you should check into the Windows tool
AATranslator which has support for Ardour in its most recent releases.

But, as Christopher noted, the most common way is to just export "stems" (1
file per track) from whatever the other DAW is, and import them into the
"new" DAW. This technique is a bit slower (sometimes) than a direct import
of the session, but its the simplest and least error-prone.

--p