[Ardour-Users] Unable to build ardour 2.8.9.

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jun 20 03:04:43 PDT 2010

Ray Rashif wrote:
> On 20 June 2010 15:44, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>
>> Sorry, for my broken English.
>> This should mean: I don't know what kind of VSTs can be used for Qtractor.
>>

> Relax. Qtractor can be made to run _native_ VST plug-ins _directly_,
> but this is a compile-time option only and (obviously) requires
> Steinberg's SDK. I'm not sure about 64-bit here. It can also
> _indirectly_ run Windows VSTs, via DSSI - > DSSI-VST, and requires
> that one only build with support for DSSI. 32-bit only.

I guess that Juanjavier Martínez needs features supported by Ardour that
aren't supported by Qtractor.

Correct, I build Qtractor from svn by using one or two of Steinberg's
SDK headers on a 64-bit Linux, directly, not for a 32-bit chroot or any
other trick. So it might be for native Linux VSTs only. I never was fine
with VST on Linux, neither when using Qtractor, nor when using DSSI on a
64-bit machine, but other people reported to be fine with VST on a 64
bit architecture.

I can't relax when I'm abused, because I helped a user to find the
needed package, while Paul didn't give a clear answer to the users
question. And because I know that off-list is the better way to help,
after the big Oz has spoken, I replied off-list. Unfortunately
Juanjavier Martínez seems to speak similar broken English as I does, so
it goes back to the list too.

Perhaps Paul should relax, he gets the donations. I just try to help for
free. Pardon, that I'm a little bit pissed.

;)

Ralf