[Ardour-Users] Copy / paste of timeline regions

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jul 20 02:27:19 PDT 2010

If I copy a timeline region to the clipboard I can subsequently paste it to some other part of the timeline canvas, depending on the current editing mode - e.g. in Playhead edit mode, it gets positioned at the Playhead. There are three ways to achieve the paste - (1) CTRL+V, (2) by selecting Edit->Paste from the canvas right-click context menu, (3) by selecting Edit->Paste from the main menu bar.  This all works great, as long as you aren't in Mouse edit mode.

In Mouse edit mode, the three operations give totally different results - not because of any bugs in the code, but simply because you necessarily need to move the mouse cursor in order to invoke the different methods.  For example, if option 1 (CTRL+V) inserts at the current mouse cursor position, option 2 will insert slightly to the right of that position (simply because you need to move your mouse to the right, in order to use the popup context menu). Option 3 doesn't work at all in Mouse edit mode - because you need to move your mouse off the canvas in order to select that option from the main menu!

I was wondering if it might be possible to rationalize these differences.  For example, after using Edit->Paste from either of the menus, maybe the user should then need to click the canvas in order to complete the paste operation.  Likewise if the user presses CTRL+V when the mouse isn't currently over the canvas.

Does anyone think this is worth bothering with? Or does anyone have any better suggestions for making all three operations do the same thing?

John