[Ardour-Users] oops - live recording in .wav format beyond the 2gb limit...

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Mon Jul 5 06:52:09 PDT 2010

paul, andreas,

On 06/30/2010 05:30 PM, Andreas Degert wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 11:22:30 -0400
> Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
>> 2010/6/30 Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings at stackingdwarves.net>:
>>> ok, this is really stupid... in the turmoil of a live production, i
>>> forgot to set the file format to w64 before we took off. so i have
>>> 48 tracks of lovely music on my disk, each well over 7gb in size,
>>> and of course ardour will do unspeakable things when i try to seek
>>> beyond 2gb.
>>>
>>> now this is a huuuuge load of data, and while i could buy another
>>> disk and sndfile-convert everything over, i wonder if there's a
>>> safe way to correct this mistake in-place, i.e. by just rewriting
>>> the headers and scanning each file just once to fill in the peak
>>> chunk correctly.
>>
>> LAD or LAU had a post about this within the last 6 weeks. several
>> suggestions, and a new tool from erik de castro lopez surfaced to deal
>> with it.
>> search and you'll find it.
>
> http://lalists.stanford.edu/lau/2010/04/0400.html

thanks for your pointers. for the record, the little program is called
sndfile-salvage and can be found in libsndfile versions 1.0.22pre3 and
later.
it works like a charm. its only drawback is that it does not rewrite the
headers in-place but creates a copy. which meant i had to shop for
another harddisk first, hence my delay in replying.

best,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio), Elektrofachkraft
Audio and event engineer - Ambisonic surround recordings

http://stackingdwarves.net