[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Tue Jan 26 02:16:56 PST 2010

On Tuesday 26 January 2010 10:56:31 John Rigg wrote:
> It's hard to overstate the case for absolute reliability. Standing at a
> dead mixing desk in the middle of several thousand boozed-up metal fans is
> not my idea of fun.

Yeah, standing at a digital mixing desk with the blue screen of death and
simply rebooting it is so much more embarrassing than standing in front of an
analogue mixing desk where half the channels are on fire from burnt capacitors
and the other half got soaked with beer from some drunk metal fans and there
is no second console for backup.

Honestly I am dreaming of doing live mixing digital in that the converters and
the mixing pc/rack are on stage and both the monitor- and the foh-mixer only
have control surfaces connected via network and a single (stereo-)channel
transmitted to them for their headphones should they need it.
Free advantages: When your foh-surface fries up, the monitor guy will be able
to fill in for you. For smaller and more "arty" gigs your foh console can be a
small hand-held connected via wireless 8-)

Maybe I should start my own business...

Arnold