[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

John Rigg au at jrigg.co.uk
Mon Jan 25 17:12:50 PST 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 01:27:02AM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> John Rigg wrote:
>>> I guess pushing a mute button for an aux channel (depending to the
>>> architecture of the mixing console) by mouse could be done as soon,
>>> as  by using a mixing console, assumed that the virtual mixer doesn't
>>> need a  scrolling, but is shown completely.
>>>

>> Controlling this sort of thing with a mouse is not an option.
>> It's essential to have dedicated controls for this
>> (even if they have to be assigned to this particular function).
>>

> I "feel" the same, but does it really matter. Isn't it just a habit +
> talent to use the mouse?

It takes me less time to hit a physical button than to move the mouse cursor
to the correct position and then press the button on the mouse. I doubt if
any amount of practice will change that.

The real deal killer with a mouse is that it can only do one thing
at a time. It's very common when mixing live sound to alter
several controls at once, but you can't do that with a mouse.

The point here is that the hardware is there to serve the user, not the
other way round.

John