[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 15:52:48 PST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 6:34 PM, John Rigg <au at jrigg.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 05:05:08PM -0500, Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 4:52 PM, John Rigg <au at jrigg.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Allen & Heath have already done it with the iLive series.
> > >
> > Close but not quite.  The iLive consoles run on COS, not Linux.
>
> Hmm, I based that on this comment from Michael Palmer, A&H national
> sales manager for USA: "the Allen & Heath iLive uses Linux as its operating
> system"
> It's near the bottom of this linked page:
> http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?t=msg&th=34589/0/

http://www.ilive-digital.com/downloads.htm

You will notice the link to download eCOS on that page in fact;)

Many people do confuse eCOS and Linux, as some of eCOS's design decisions
were based off Linux early on IIRC, but they are two definitly two different
OSes.

> > Most digital consoles these days are moving more towards control surface
> > a processing rack(Digi, PM5d, iLive) than integrated console(Like an LS9
> or
> > M7CL)
>
> Most of the ones I see are still the self contained type, but I wouldn't be
> surprised if more manufacturers move towards separate processing racks. The
> important part for the end user is the control surface.

Agreed on the control surface being important(But not the only important
part).  Right now most larger format consoles are moving if not already
moved to a split setup.  The cheaper ones(M7CL and LS9, StudioLive, etc.)
are still all in ones.  But even this market is being moved on by the likes
of Roland and A&H t-Series that are both designed with a seperate rack and
digital snake.

          Seablade