[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Jan 25 12:08:47 PST 2010

John Rigg wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:03:55AM -0500, Jason Russler wrote:
>
>> I only lurk this list but I have an observation that everyone must be
>> aware of but that I'll iterate anyway to put this discussion in
>> another light.  Pardon me if it seems naive:  There is a bizarre
>> obsession with the  "high-end" on this list.  There's all kinds of
>> interest in penetrating professional recording/broadcast studios and
>> the minds real recording engineers.   This is not a growth market and
>> it's already glutted.
>>

> As someone who makes his living from audio engineering I use as
> much high end gear as I can afford. I don't think this is particularly
> bizarre. Would you expect a plumber or mechanic to use tools that
> didn't allow him to do a professional job?
>
> My own observations are that professional studios are having to
> cut costs to survive. This creates a growth market for software
> based recording systems as more and more migrate from expensive hardware
> (which I suspect might not be around in its present form for much longer).
>
> John

When talking about high end this only is referring to avoidance of
bottlenecks were ever possible. For a home recording studio there could
be a lot of bottlenecks because of the hardware. A community could share
the costs for software development and when something is finished only
bytes needs to be copied. So why thinking of something that isn't high
end? The differences between a home recording studio and a high end
professional studio shouldn't be the software. There are enough
bottlenecks for the hardware that can't be solved, when not play and win
the lottery. If there are some tights left that were not needed for
making pop screens, a hold up in a bank could solve some hardware and
room issues too, OTOH doing this, live could turn into a Coen brothers
movie, so don't take this as an advice. Btw. instead of including a
proprietary standard like VST it's better to get better FLOSS plug ins
that aren't based on VST, because VST always will be an unpleasant
affair. If for FLOSS all troubles because of VSTs are solved, license
issues and technical issues, than the industry would change something
and we again would depend to their products. I agree that for home
recording proprietary products have a lot of advantages, but in the long
run this should change, that's why thinking about high end is needed and
VST is unimportant. But yes, at the moment there are a lot of VSTs that
are less expensive than buying equivalent hardware and similar plug ins
for FLOSS are missing.

Ralf