[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Jan 25 09:20:16 PST 2010

Brett McCoy wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>
>>> Might be able to with netjack, but don't know how well that works with
>>> Linux -> Windows. You can send MIDI to Windows via netjack, but you
>>> need a jack-MIDI bridge. Don't know if the opposite will work, routing
>>> the audio from a Windows app back to Linux. I use SPDIF on the slave
>>> machine to route audio back to my Linux box right now, but you can't
>>> do multiple audio streams that way.
>>>
>> SPDIF is a good idea, even if an additional sound card should be needed, it
>> could be a low-cost card.
>>

> Yep, I use RME Multiface II on Linux host and M-Audio 2496 on Slave. I
> imagine if I had an ADAT Lightpipe connection between the two it would
> be even better :-)

Even an envy24 card IMO is not a very-low-cost card. Dunno, but wouldn't
it work with a completely cheap card too? Naively I guess that the VST
generates the digital data, nothing needs to be converted to analogue,
even duplex isn't needed, just the digital data needs to be send by
SPDIF, there seems to be no quality issue or latency issue. But I don't
know how this works, at least the cheap sound cards converts to
analogue, even if it's not needed and SPDIF also might cause latency
issues for cheap cards. I guess ASIO is fixed to 2 Periods/Buffer, so if
there should be an issue because of a cheap card, at least this couldn't
be changed. Hm, anyway if somebody pays for EastWest additional 80,-€/$
for a sound card might be payable too. When there's no MIDI jitter for
MIDI over IP this is a solution to use VSTs with a Linux box.