[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Jan 25 07:20:08 PST 2010

Jason Russler wrote:
> Project studios in people's basements for
> various types of independent production make up a much larger market
> in pure volume and there are more and more of them.  Ardour isn't
> designed to reach them and everyone knows how steep the technical and
> licensing difficulties are to get into that arena.

5,000 downloads for Mac and 20,000 downloads for subversion point to
this market. But here is a problem because of the money. Somebody is
willing to donate next month, because this month he needs to buy a new
soldering tip and some jacks. The next month a donation is impossible,
because the CPUs fan and a hard disc needs to be replaced ... etc. ...
but why do you think Ardour isn't designed to reach them? Because for
some reasons Ardour isn't an application that fit to my needs, but most
Linux audio users I know favour Ardour for hard disc recording. I guess
Ardour and Rosegarden are most used applications.