[Ardour-Users] Ardour-Users Digest, Vol 72, Issue 18

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jan 24 12:52:47 PST 2010

Eric wrote:
> Just a few words from an amateur musician, computer scientist and former
> software developer. (side note : I do not want to start a flame war with
> this).
>
> I'm quite shocked about the post of Ralph Mardorf.
>
> As an an amateur musician, regularly involved in musical projects on a
> volunteer basis (music is *not* profitable to me, it's a kind of "second
> life"), I started using multitrack recording software at a time where no
> free products were available (around 1992, only *very* expensive
> products were existing, like SAW and the like). I was using cracked
> products,

That's what I'm writing. The averaged user don't has the money and he
also can't pay for FLOSS, but studios could do.

> which wasn't a satisfying solution regarding my thoughts on
> the subject. When ardour appears it was really a gift for me. I
> sometimes make small donations, because my situation do not allow me to
> make more, but I always consider that this is a necessary act,
> considering the price of proprietary software in the domain of digital
> audio.
>
> Aside from this, some allegations in the post of Ralph Mardorf appear to
> me as completely out of subject : algorithms present in some proprietary
> software that would not be present in ardour ? Which ones ? If you
> consider ardour and all LADSPA plugins available (big thanks to all
> developers of these plugins), what are these missing algorithms ? (oh
> yes, perhaps a fully functionnal autotuner :o) ). Frankly, I can't see
> such a sophisticated machinery which would be missing in ardour ....

For example high quality resampling algorithm so that you can sync by
SMPTE, what is needed if do film sync, for some customers.

> Conclusion (temporary, as always :o) ) : this appears to me as a big
> flame, or big troll, perhaps posted in a moment like the ones everybody
> is facing sometimes : ArgL, why can't this software do that ?

But why won't pay studios, I at least don't know any studio using Ardour
... please no competition ... Why doesn't get Paul enough money?

> I won't come back on Paul's answer : he told it all ... (the economic
> model in which he chooses to be fully involved, ... *very* courageous !
> etc etc ...).
>
> If only I had the opportunity to do more for Ardour, I would,  without a
> doubt.
>
> Well, ... another small donation tonight, I felt quite obliged :o)
>
> Oh, I almost forgot : no, MIDI is not the urge with ardour ! You want
> midi ? Try a MIDI sequencer ! (ok ok, this is a friendly flame, I only
> use ardour with *real* instruments :o) ).
>
> Long life to ardour !
>
> Regards
>
> Eric
> (and sorry for a somewhat approximate english)

Please, you don't need to like me, give me names, but this won't help Paul.

The mail before this should be my last reply to this issue, oops, this
one is the last reply.

Ralf