[Ardour-Users] "source" session -> "mix" session

plutek-infinity plutek at infinity.net
Tue Jan 12 13:18:47 PST 2010

>Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 07:30:04 +1100
>From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com>
>
>On 01/13/2010 06:22 AM, plutek-infinity wrote:
>> greetings!
>>
>> a question about methodology for some mixes i'm into here:
>>
>> i've got about twenty five different sessions, containing different compositions, but with the same tracks (18 tracks in all cases). the mixes will be fairly similar, but will definitely have some changes from composition to composition, due to differences in the musical material and different instruments played. in order to be able to tweak the mix and hear those tweaks across *all* sessions, and also be able to make changes specific to each session, i'm thinking of running a second instance of ardour, with the same track layout. i'll route the source track outputs directly to the mix session track inputs. then, i can simply load different sessions in the "source" instance of ardour, while leaving the "mix" instance of ardour as it is, and can also easily make snapshots in the mix session specific to each source session, when variations are required in the mix.
>>
>> does this seem like a reasonable methodology for this sort of thing.
>> or does someone have another suggestion?
>>
>> thanks in advance.... cheers!
>>

>I would do this:
>
>A mix bus (as many as needed) that all tracks are routed to for tweaking
>effects, etc...
>The core tracks that won't be changed much if at all. These can be
>frozen or hidden while not editing to free up resources and screen real
>estate
>Additional instrument tracks which can be enabled/disabled for each mix.
>
>Optionally, set up all the cross mix tweaks first then save each mix as
>a snapshot with an appropriate name.

thanks, patrick!

hmmm.... perhaps i'm missing something, but i don't think this addresses my issue. the material already exists in a bunch of different sessions, one for each composition. sounds to me like what you're suggesting occurs within a given session. i'd have to import all the material into one huge session (which would end up being around 5 hours long and have a gazillion regions). that's a possibility, but my experience has been that such sessions with huge track counts and lengths can get unstable -- then it can be hard to debug what's going on. it also means taking a lot of time to move all the material into one session to begin with.

or am i missing something?

cheers!

--
.pltk.