[Ardour-Users] External mixer

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Tue Jan 5 14:32:19 PST 2010

On Jan 5, 2010, at 5:00 PM, Geoff Beasley wrote:

> On Wednesday 06 January 2010 08:58:12 Lamar Owen wrote:
>> export
>> will be different,
>>
> you can't export from within Ardour what is not in the digital
> domain ;)

Sure you can.

You might have to play through the entire session with the inputs
coming back from the mixer record enabled and recording, then export
selected tracks with those selected.

As I've said, I've not tried it, but since track outputs can go to
arbitrary JACK connections, then I would assume that could mean an
external device; inserts can be used for external effects, for
instance.  It might be that JACK handles whether it gets real time or
non real time export; I've not tried it or looked at the code, but it
makes sense, and I recall reading about it a while back (but I can't
locate where I read that right off).

In any case, browsing through the code, I find a comment in
session_export.cc that implies that JACK, through the freewheeling
driver, is what handles the whole non real time business; thus, I
would think JACK would make things go real time if there are
connections to actual devices in the connected matrix, other than the
output, which is freewheeled.  Haven't read through enough to know
more, but Paul or another developer would.