[Ardour-Users] External mixer

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Tue Jan 5 13:58:12 PST 2010

On Jan 5, 2010, at 2:57 PM, teza wrote:

> Hi all, I thinking about buying an extermal mixer. Could you tell me
> how to connect it to my computer and use it with Adour.

Yes, you would need an audio interface with as many channel outputs as
you want to mix on this mixer, and as many inputs as mixed down busses
you want from this mixer.

You then disconnect (in either Ardour's connections dialog, or in
Qjackctl) each channel in ardour that you want externally mixed from
the master ins (L and R), then connect (again, in Ardour's connection
dialog or in Qjackctl) that to each output that goes to the mixer.
Then physically connect an input on the audio interface to the mixer's
output, and connect (in Ardour's connection dialog, or in Qjackctl)
this audio input to the master IN's.

You can hybrid mix this way, with the JACK summing doing some and the
outboard doing others.  Note that you'll need to do any latency
compensation yourself, and, as I've not actually tried this, export
will be different, and in real-time.