[Ardour-Users] touch with behringer bcf?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Feb 11 08:50:11 PST 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at cosgroves.us> wrote:

> One time I was producer of a my band's mixdown where the engineer
> rode programmable sliders one or a few at a time as he played
> through each song.  If he didn't like what he did, he'd fiddle
> with a slider for a moment, which would fix that section of the
> song, and after that the slider would return to it's previously
> programmed action.  I'd really like to be able to emulate this
> behavior.  But, I don't know how, nor if it's possible with
> ardour.  I'm happy to use either the on-screen sliders or the
> sliders on my BCF2000.

doing this requires:

1) a control surface that sends a message to indicate the start of
"touch" and the end of it too
2) ardour to handle said message with the knowledge that it means
"start touch" and "end touch"

right now, "touch" is really limited to LogicControl (Mackie) and
mouse driven fader riding, since these are the only control surfaces
that indicate the start and end of a "touch". there are some others
(i've seen a tascam unit do this too), but ardour doesn't currently
support the model of interaction used by things like the tascam (it
sends a CC message at the start and end of the touch; ardour believes
that this is what the fader itself sends).

--p