[Ardour-Users] trouble connecting Saffire pro 24

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Feb 10 07:41:34 PST 2010

Paul Davis wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:30 AM, Jared Davidson
> <jarededavidson at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am having a problem connecting my Saffire Pro 24 to Ardour via Mac os 10.6.2 firewire.  I am running Saffire Pro 24 into the firewire of my Mac Mini (os 10.6.2) Ardour isn't recognizing any inputs from my Saffire Pro 24.  What am I doing wrong?
>>

> Have you told JACK to use the Pro 24?

Take a look at http://jackaudio.org/download.

I'm a Non-Mac-but-PC-Linux-user. For Linux the command will be similar
to this:
jackd -Rdalsa -dhw:0 -r$sample_rate -p$frames_period -n2 -Xseq

Important is:

-d hw:[number of the audio device]

For example, a PC on-board audio device might have the "name" "hw:1" and
a more professional PCI card might have the "name" "hw:0". I guess there
will be no -d alsa for MacOS, I might be wrong. You need to set up
$sample_rate and $frames_period to your needs.

I don't know if your Mac supports a tickless timer, try "--clocksource
h" to use a high resolution timer.

On My PC there's a problem with JACK1, JACK1 is able to disconnect
clients and because of some unknown incompatibility JACK1 randomly
disconnect clients. JACK2 never disconnect clients, so I'm using JACK2
and everything is ok here. Dunno, there might be some advantages by JACK1.

Perhaps some Mac users could help you to set up JACK.