[Ardour-Users] [Fwd: Re: Ardour and Jack question]

Al Thompson biggles58 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 4 10:14:34 PST 2010

Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> On 02/04/2010 02:21 PM, Al Thompson wrote:
>>  However, when I try to compile 0.118, it tells
>> me that I must first remove my earlier jack installation, and when I try
>> to do this, yum wants to uninstall nearly every piece of software on my
>> computer "for dependencies."
>
> the ffado wiki has information about this which will help you
> understand and solve this issue:
>
> http://subversion.ffado.org/wiki/AvoidingParallelInstallations
>
> if you run into problems on the way, just ask.

That made a huge difference!  Thanks.

I got 0.118 compiled on both machines, and tested that it works as it
used to.  It seems to do fine.  However, I'm trying to follow the
directions on http://trac.jackaudio.org/wiki/WalkThrough/User/NetJack to
get things running in the right sequence.  I start jack normally on my
desktop (master), then run jackd -R -d net on my laptop (slave).  It
says it is creating it, but never gives a completion notice.  It just
sits there.  Also, on my desktop, when I run the 'jack_netsource -H
laptop' command, it says it cannot connect to an oss device, and exits.
(I'm using alsa on both machines).  I haven't found an option for
'jack_netsource' that lets me specify an alsa backend.  A possibly
related issue is that, when I compiled it, it said it was not including
alsa support (although I tested jackd using alsa - using the same
startup configuration I was using with 0.109).

I'm confused.

--

Check out the website I've been cobbling together.  It will never be done, but it's a start:
http://lateralforce.no-ip.org

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio, mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
						- [Friedrich Nietzsche]