[Ardour-Users] Automation from analog mix?

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sat Dec 18 01:35:48 PST 2010

Arnold Krille <arnold at arnoldarts.de> writes:

> On Friday 17 December 2010 17:21:00 David Kastrup wrote:
>> Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings at stackingdwarves.net> writes:
>> > you mean i would feed pink noise into each of my mixer channels,
>> Nope, just the usual signals.
>> > buy a 32ch a/d converter to get the tape outs,
>> It's already there if you are recording the sources.
>
> No, the 16 channel converter is already there to record the main
> signal directly after the pre-amps. You need another 16 channels for
> the signal after the fader to get all the information you want for
> automation of eq, gate, compressor and volume.

Nope.  Just the stereo mix at the end.  It has all the required info
after decorrelation ("echo compensation techniques") if you take into
account that changes are confined to small bursts of activity.

>> If one hasn't anything worthwhile to contribute, remaining silent is
>> always an option.  It's not that one gets brownie points for
>> newbie-bashing.
>
> But newbies do not get bonus-points for bashing-back at rather
> respected members of the community.

"He bashed back first!".  I mean, wow.  Talk about childish.  Not even
kids expect that excuse to fly.

--
David Kastrup