[Ardour-Users] [Fwd: Re: Hm...]

Al Thompson biggles58 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 30 17:59:35 PDT 2010

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [Ardour-Users] Hm...
Date: 	Mon, 30 Aug 2010 20:58:38 -0400
From: 	Al Thompson <biggles58 at sbcglobal.net>
To: 	David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org>
<201008301143.07876.lowen at pari.edu> <87fwxwkjuc.fsf at lola.goethe.zz>

David Kastrup wrote:
> We are not talking about "safety nets" for user mistakes.  It simply is
> not a good design goal to maximize damage for user mistakes.  We are
> talking about the situation where Ardour notices something being wrong.
> The options it gives the user should, if possible, be better than
> telling him to commit ritual suicide.

After reading through this thread, and some of your comments, I think it
mostly boils down to this:

You are an advanced computer user, who has no experience with DAW
applications, and no understanding of how heavy-duty DAWs are used in
daily use.  You have use for a lightweight audio file editor, and have
decided to use a heavy duty DAW.  What you see is Ardour's lack of
saving you from yourself, audio people see as Ardour's ability to do
what they tell it without scads of warning boxes that get in the way and
impede work flow.

While Ardour will certainly do what you want, it's much like starting up
a Formula I racer to go grab a burger at Burger King.  It will get the
job done, but it's probably easier and more economical to jump in the
Ford Focus instead.

--

Check out the website I've been cobbling together.  It will never be done, but it's a start:
http://lateralforce.no-ip.org

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio, mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
						- [Friedrich Nietzsche]