[Ardour-Users] Hm...

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 13:12:20 PDT 2010

David-

 Concentrating on the 'How do I side of things'... pardon the acronym
but the short answer is, RTFM.  If you expected to dive into emacs or
vi without reading the manual and be able to use it, you are sadly
mistaken.  I am not even really sure what those have to do with
DAWs(Though technically I suppose it might be possible to program a
mode for emacs to do audio editing in).  Heck without reading a manual
I wouldn't even have a clue how to save a file in emacs when I first
started using it.  This is despite many years of experience using many
different text editors.  And yes I have used emacs for quite some
time.  It is not the same as other text or document editors I have
used, I don't expect it to be, so I read the manual.

In this case Ardour's manual for the basics can be found here...
http://en.flossmanuals.net/Ardour

All of what you want to do and how to do it(Even multiple ways to do
it) are addressed right there.

My second question is, have you ever used another DAW at all?  Because
to be honest the ones that I have worked with which include ProTools,
Nuendo, CuBase, and even Live, all work fairly similar when it comes
to multitrack audio sequencing.  They have differences in interface,
but the basic concepts are all there.  Ardour in particular comes
closest to the ProTools way of doing things, but again none of them
would I expect anyone to be able to use without reading the manual
first, and to be honest most people have to be taught the basics of
multitrack digital audio editing and automation before they really
start to get it.  In fact I am teaching that as part of a class in a
few weeks to people that have been doing audio in one form or another
for a while, but are not professionals yet(Are aiming to be however).

        Seablade