[Ardour-Users] Automatic add of tracks and recording

Brett Clark brett.clark at zirous.com
Mon Aug 30 09:52:20 PDT 2010

> is it possible to use parts of the different
> takes? Singing the same song for 3-4 times and use one part here and one
> part
> there.

Yes, i do that all the time.  The term is called "comping" and its when you
copy/paste parts from multiple takes into a single (hopefully flawless)
take.

Im at my day job right now so i cant pull up Ardour and see the menu
options.

Here's the steps i usually follow.
1) record while looping using punch in/out until satisfied.
2) create a new track and position it right underneath the multi-recorded
track.  This is your destination track where the comped version will be
placed.
3) move through the regions using the menu option 'select top layer'.
4) select the 'range' that i want to keep and Edit->Copy
5) select destination track and paste.
6) repeat steps 3 - 5 as necessary

As a word of wisdom when comping vocals: make sure you do all the vocal
takes during the same recording session.  A persons vocals change a little
bit depending on many factors and if you comp last nights vocals with vocals
you recorded this morning then there will probably be a noticeable
difference.

Hope this helps!!!

--Brett

**