[Ardour-Users] Experience? Rework an external 44.1 KHz 16 bit recording

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 08:25:46 PDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 11:21 AM, Paul Winkler <slinkp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 08:28:30AM -0400, Joe Hartley wrote:
> > On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 13:13:37 +0200
> > Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> > > 1. Did somebody note serious differences for a ripped WAV compared to
> > > S/PDIF FOC?
> >
> > A "ripped" WAV is simply a copy of the binary digits on the CD.  Unless there's
> > a change in format (to MP3, for example), your file will be identical.  Any
> > other method will introduce extra digital->analog and analog->digital
> > conversions, which can only degrade the signal.
>
> S/PDIF transfer is digital, no analog involved.
>
> I guess any difference between S/PDIF and ripping a CD would come down
> to any difference in error correction between the CD player and the
> ripping program.  I don't know anything about that.

The catch is it was being discussed a SRC to 48kHz, which when you
have the choice between doing so using whatever chip is onboard a
cheap piece of equipment, or doing so via libsamplerate it is
typically a far better idea to use libsamplerate as you will get a
cleaner conversion in most every case.

     Seablade