[Ardour-Users] The future?

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 11:58:55 PDT 2010

On 11 August 2010 18:59, Justin M. Streiner <streiner at cluebyfour.org> wrote:
> I've played around with it on Arch Linux, and getting it up and running
> wasn't too bad.  My two issues with Arch were 1. getting SATA RAID
> (fakeraid) mirrored partitions running was more painful than the docs let
> on, and 2. I didn't see a way to get a realtime-patched kernel, and my read
> of various docs and wikis seemed to suggest that the Arch maintainers dind't
> see the RT patch as being necessary for allowing apps like Ardour to work
> most efficiently.  That seemed to contradict most everything I've read on
> the subject.

1. I have no idea myself :)

2.1 The AUR has a variety of kernel buildscripts (PKGBUILDs, a la
ebuilds), including kernel26rt and kernel26-rt-ice
2.2 ArchAudio is a third-party add-on binary repository

Granted, the third-party repo can sometimes drift out-of-date and is
not as massive as say, the proaudio ebuild overlay. Otherwise, the AUR
is always up-to-date no matter what because one can simply get and
edit the buildscripts if required.

There is also some documentation to get you started:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pro_Audio

Now, about an "official" realtime kernel, it's a different story
altogether. They can maintain a lot of kernels, but they don't. They
keep it simple by rolling one stable (kernel26-lts) and one normal
(kernel26). They used to have more kernels, but realised all those add
more complexity than benefit. So far, there hasn't been any request in
the bugtracker for a realtime kernel. As the stock kernel becomes
better for realtime work, it has also become harder to justify
spending extra effort to maintain the rt-patched kernel in official
capacity.

On 12 August 2010 01:23, Arnold Krille <arnold at arnoldarts.de> wrote:
> If you want to learn about administration of linux inside out and the hard
> way, run one or two machines with gentoo or arch. If you want something usable
> for productive work without hassles, use ubuntu/debian/fedora or maybe even
> opensuse.

When you run Arch, you run upstream. Bugs from minimalist
distributions like Arch, CRUX, Frugalware and Slackware are the least
troublesome. You don't "tinker" with an Arch system, you _use_ it,
just like you would use an Ubuntu system. The difference is that you
know roughly what you had to do to get one up, that's it :) So when,
for eg. something breaks, you can narrow down the culprit quickly. One
can "learn" with any distribution, not just Gentoo or Arch. It just
depends on how easy the distro makes it. If you hide complexity, you
cannot learn.

Deploy and forget - that's my motto and I'm an Archer =p

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD