[Ardour-Users] Ardour-Users Digest, Vol 79, Issue 13

Peiman Khosravi peimankhosravi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 04:25:58 PDT 2010

As an OS X user who has also messed around with linux here and there I
have to say that as much as I'd love to give up buying over-priced
apple products, it just seems a too scary a jump for me to invest in a
PC to run linux at this point.

The funny thing is that I'm actually using only ardour for mixing and
Audacity for editing. I did buy a load of commercial software a few
years ago (e.g. PT, dp, Peake)  and only recently chucked them all
away to free some HD space, as I realised that I never ever use them!
The only commercial software that I cannot have enough of is MaxMsp,
this alone is enough to persuade me to stick with os x.

Recently I installed Ubuntu on an old PC and built Ardour 2. I have to
say that it was a very smooth process and everything built without
error. Ardour seems faster there as well (despite the rubbish
computer). I am more or less ready to move to ubuntu (and replace
MaxMsp with PD) but the problems are:

a- the lack of easy-to-install drivers for external sound-cards

b- the lack of guarantee that the OS will actually work with my
hardware (e.g. the Ubuntu system that I have crashes every hour or so
and I have to restart the computer, this is hardware related I'm sure).

[most importantly] c- the lack of surround mixing plug-ins and
support. I find that for my purposes AMB is not really suitable since
it is not exactly intuitive or easy to set up.

I find that not having a surround-capable system is a big big drawback
for the non-hobbyist. I know that surround is limited and has many
many problems, but so does MIDI (which I never use): this has not
stopped Ardour developers from implementing MIDI in Ardour 3 ;-)

Now once ardour includes a usable built-in surround panner (or when
linux starts supporting the format) I will seriously consider moving
to linux for good. Currently I'm doing multichannel mixing with Ardour
on OSX with an external plug-in, which works perfectly well. The
mentioned plug-in is free and open source but AU only :-(

However, if I have a choice between staying on OSX and not using
Ardour, and moving to linux + Ardour, I shall choose the latter! Thank
god I don't have to produce 5.1 projects for a living though or logic
it would have to be (ouch!).

Sorry for the rant as always...

Best,

Peiman