[Ardour-Users] (no subject)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Aug 9 04:40:13 PDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 13:27 +0200, Svend-Erik Kjær Madsen wrote:
> Den 09-08-2010 13:01, Ralf Mardorf skrev:
> >
> > As I mentioned before, we can trust Linux because it's quasi controlled
> > by a community, we don't need to trust Paul, there are a lot of people
> > reading and understanding parts of the source code. Somebody or other
> > would note a crime in the source code.

> I'd say he's free to track his software anyway he like, and we're all
> free not to use it if we dislike !
>

> /Sv-e

It's not that easy. Paul or any other coder for any other software is
not allowed to do what she or he wants to do. We still have laws for
good reasons.

And ...
The original author on Mon, 2010-08-09 at 11:46 +0200,
christian at shamanbenefit.net wrote:
> [...]

... that's why I wrote that we can trust a community, we don't need to trust a single person or a company.

This is one of the essential ideas behind FLOSS. "I'd say he's free to track his software anyway he like, and we're all free not to use it if we dislike !" is true, but not optimal to the idea of FLOSS.

2 cents,
Ralf